Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Man who moved a Mountain.....Literally!!!

Way before the word, "multi-tasking", was in vogue, my late mom was practicing it.

She used bed-side stories for my siblings & I, as a channel to teach us.
Viz: "24 Filial Piety", Chinese myths & legends, heroes ... the list goes on.

My siblings & I loved the heroes from the "Water Margin" & Yue Fei.  However, we loathed Yue Fei's blind loyalty to the king.  Impatient, ill-tempered me, would fumed over his "stupidity" for walking into a trap ...knowing full well that it was set for him!

Another tale which stayed vividly in my mind is "The fool who moved the mountain".  In spite of my "smart Alec" comments that the feat is impossible without machinery.
I admired the "fool" for his perseverance & shared his dream to accomplish his feat.

Today, I stumbled on the article:

The page told how a frail, uneducated man, the late Mr. Dasrath Manji, moved a mountain, with a hammer and a chisel ... a set of rudimentary tools!  Not heavy machinery!
What I believed was impossible, is made possible by this humble man.

He made my mom's bedside story came to life!

It humbled me.

My mom's exhortation "If there's a will, there's a way" came to my mind.

Yes, mom, I'll push on in adversity.  Watch over me & bless me with your stoical personality.

Thank you Mr. Dasrath Manji for your inspiration to the world & I.

PS  I dedicate this page to "Little Darling" & all the children of the world.
      Wishing you the courage to stand up in adversity & the perseverance
     to push on till you achieve your dream


No comments:

Post a Comment