Wednesday, November 30, 2011

It's all in the learned doctor's mind 
"Incurable" because of "Aging"



A cough is innocuous to most people but it's my nemesis; ever-since
I was at the "young age" of 40.  

Wherever a cough hits me, it would quickly escalate to a severe  case of "upper respiratory infection", bronchitis, and asthmatic attack.  It often culminate to a hospitalization ... for "nebs" & oxygen.  In short, within a short period, I will be "disabled" & require care, just due to a cough!


The road to recovery from a cough, is painful & long!  

Think months.  Think 18 months


3 yrs ago, I coughed for months & was referred to one doctor after another... including the doctors of ENT (Ear, Nose & Throat) & Respiratory Department.  The cough dragged through a battery of "investigations" ... X-rays, blood tests, scopes, lung capacity test & what nots,  2 hospitalizations for "nebs" & a period of 18 months!

Finally, the cough was "controlled"

(I still coughed, but less frequently & was able to sleep better as I was no longer awakened by bad coughs).  

When I asked the doctor whether my cough would eventually goes off, he (The head of the respiratory department, no less) told me  earnestly, that although my condition is "stabilized", I have to live with the cough & to be prepared for it to become worse or "relapse".

"What's the reason?" I asked.

"Aging", came his quick response.  He went on to elaborate that
our body is generally stronger & has the ability to recover quickly when we are younger.  

Great news, eh! :)

Until then, I've always turn to the doctors & relied on their treatment for all my ailments. 

In Singapore, the common alternative to seeking treatment from a "Western" (trained) doctor, is the "sinseh"

I've not been to a "sinseh" (Traditional Chinese Medical physician) since I was a child under my late mother's charge.  She had selectively sent me to a "Western" doctor & "sinseh" according to the ailment which hit me.  e.g. for fever I'll be sent to the "Western" doctor, menstrual cramps were relieved with the concoctions from the "sinseh".

I couldn't remember what was my late mother's logic of choice, but I do recall her saying that both Western & Chinese medicines have different efficacy.  

Since the doctor can't cure me, I went to a TCM clinic upon the encouragement of my daughter.  The "sinseh" felt my pulse, asked for the history of my cough, & assured me that it can be treated & I should recover in 6 weeks.  He added that Chinese medical treatment is holistic & unlike Western medication, it takes some time to work & show results.


I was fully recovered in 3 weeks


Incurable cough because of "Aging"?   

The turn of event, proved that it was all in the doctor's mind & not in my "aging".

Thank God.

Thank you Yue "sinseh"  







No comments:

Post a Comment